If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After years and years of trips to Detroit's Greektown for lamb chops, tarama, skordalia, eggplant spread and flaming cheese, we decided that we had to do the cheese at home to get our "fix". Armed with kasseri cheese and brandy we developed this easy recipe and do it frequently in the summer as part of a backyard mezze. Opa!.... - inpatskitchen - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: I would like to give a double thumbs up to Flaming Cheese. Oh my, is this good AND easy! The Kasseri cheese is worth seeking out, its flavor and texture are unique and delicious. The addition of oregano and lemon provided additional intrigue. I served it with olive bread, since I had it on hand, and every last morsel was devoured. This recipe will be added to my "favorite" file! - sticksnscones - sticksnscones
Serves 2 to 4 as an appetizer
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 slices kasseri cheese, about 4 inches in diameter and cut 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lemon halved
- 3 ounces inexpensive brandy
- Mix the flour and oregano in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Wet the pieces of cheese with water and coat each with the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and then back into the flour.
- In a heavy saute pan or cast iron skillet, melt the butter and olive oil until the butter starts to foam.
- Place the cheese into the pan and fry on both sides until golden and the cheese starts to soften.
- Quickly take the pan outside, pour in the brandy and ignite yelling "OPA" in unison.
- Let flame for effect for about 30 seconds and then squeeze a half of lemon over to douse the flame. ( the second half is "just in case")
- Serve this immediately spread on sliced country bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish You (Intentionally) Set on Fire
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.