If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The flavour of honey and mustard is delicious with chicken. I like to add mango and ginger to the skewers and have them slightly grilled with the chicken but I love fusion food so it's a very personal taste. Here the chicken is marinated and then rolled in sesame seeds and the skewers are made just before being grilled in the oven. I like to serve this dish with couscous, it's like going round the world in a single recipe. —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 ounces honey
- 1 lemon - juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons Sesame Oil or Canola Oil
- 2 teaspoons Soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/2 Mango,peeled, diced in cubes
- 1 1/2 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 1/2 cup Couscous
- 1/2 cup water, boiling and salted
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon - juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 Mango peeled and cut in very small cubes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro thinly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup cucumber
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, roasted
- For the chicken marinade: Add the honey, mustard, soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Cut the chicken breats in cubes. Add to the marinade, coat well, cover with plastic film and marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Make the couscous: put the couscous in a wide bowl. Bring the water to a boil and season with salt. Add the boiling water to the couscous, stir with a fork, cover with plastic film and let sit for 5 minutes and allow the couscous to absorb all the water. Fluff up the couscous with a fork so it's light and fluffy. Add half the olive oil and mix fluffing up the couscous. If any grains remain attached, undo them with your fingers. Set aside and let cool.
- Blanch the tomato in boiling water, peel it, cut it in quarters and remove the seeds. Cut the tomato flesh in small cubes and put in a colander to remove excess water. Wash the cucumber, cut in half and remove all the seeds with a small spoon. Dice half of the cucumber in very small pieces until you obtain a 1/4 cup. Set aside. Finely chopp the coriander and mint leaves.
- Peel the mango and cut half of the mango in cubes the size of the chicken cubes. The other half of the mango cut in very small cubes for the couscous. Set aside in different bowls.
- Peel the fresh ginger and slice it very thinly. Set aside.
- Put the sesame seeds in a plate. Remove the chicken pieces one a time and coat them in sesame seeds and layer them on a parchment paper lined tray.
- Turn the grill on to warm it up. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the skewers - start with a slice of ginger, add a chicken piece, a slice of ginger, a mango cube, a slice of ginger and continue until you have 3 cubes of sesame seeds coated chicken cubes plus 3 of mango cubes and slices of ginger in between and at the ends. Put the skewers on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- When all your skewers are ready, drizzle with the sesame oil or plain canola oil and grill with the rack in the midle of the oven. When the sesame seeds are blond (the chicken should also be cooked) turn the skewers and grill the other side.
- Keep an eye on the skewers so the sesame seeds don't burn as they will taste sour.
- Finish the couscous - add the tomato, cucumber, mango, coriander and mint leaves and mix well. Add the olive oil, the lemon juice and check the salt. At the last minute add the roasted almonds. Reserve in a bowl.
- Serve the chicken skewers with couscous.
- Couscous - please follow the instructions on you package. Some couscous are pre-cooked like mine and needs less water, others need extra liquid. Follow the measurements in your package. Also, if you have chicken or vegetable broth use it instead of the water, it gives so much more flavour to the couscous.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken with Mustard
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.