If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Lou Seibert Pappas Banana Creme Brulee
Use farm fresh eggs for tastiest result :)
and for a sweeter taste use slightly overripe bananas —eggs&herbs13
- 7 medium egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (+ 5 tablespoons for caramelizing)
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 large bananas (or 3 small ones)
- Preheat oven to 275 F. I use a clear glass 9in pie dish as I don't have a creme brulee ramikin, but feel free to use whatever is easiest for you, just make sure it is at least 2in deep and place it on a pan or cookie sheet. Don't put this in the oven,just have it ready.
- In a small dish combine vanilla extract, orange zest, and dark rum. Place to the side.
- Whisk egg yolks until they have changed to a paler yellow. Then mix in granulated sugar, continue to whisk it until the sugar has dissolved
- Slowly add heavy cream and mix until just blended. Then add the rum-vanilla mix, till just incorporated.
- Fill the dish, in my case the pie plate, and place the sheet in the oven. Using a teakettle fill the pan with water till it reaches about 3/4 of the way up the brulee dish. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or if you usually adjust recipes to fit your oven, until the custard is set, accept in the middle where it is still slightly jiggly.
- Then place in the fridge for AT LEAST 1.5 hours, but if possible overnight. *note this will be good up to 2 (and if lucky 3) days later*
- When ready to serve slice the bananas about 1/4" and arrange them decoratively along the creme brulee. Evenly sprinkle the remaining sugar on top and caramelize it using a flambe torch Voila!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish You (Intentionally) Set on Fire
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.