If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A well-loved treat now healthy and flavoursome. I use almond and millet flours for the dough, making this gluten and grain free. And using grapeseed oil, also makes it dairy-free.
The biscuit-like tart makes the tell-tale soft break of biting into a Pop Tart. Yet the inside absorbs just enough of the sweet filling to turn slightly moist. And there’s that freshly baked-you barely want to let them cool-scent. —KateAlice.
Makes 4-6 tarts, depending on size
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 egg
- Fillings of choice: jam, chocolate etc
- To brush on top: either egg wash, or maple syrup in a dash of milk
- In a large bowl, use a whisk or fork to combine the almond flour and millet flour. In a small bowl, beat the egg and add the grapeseed oil
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a dough forms-you may want to use your hands to bring all the ingredients together
- Roll the dough into a ball. Place it on a piece of parchment/baking paper. Place another piece of parchment/baking paper over the top. Roll flat with a rolling pin, until about 1/2-cm thick. ~make sure it’s not too thin, or the Tarts may break
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Use a knife or pizza-cutter to make squares from the dough.
- Place any filling you like onto half of the squares. Wet the edges of the squares (this helps the dough stick). Put the other squares on top of the filled ones. Close them by pressing with a wet fork. Tips~if you find the dough breaking, it means it is too thin. Take it back into a ball and re-roll thicker. ~If the room is hot, put the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes to make it easier to handle.
- Brush the top with either an egg, or a dash of milk and maple syrup. Place in the oven for around 15 minutes, until starting to brown
A Can-Do Soda
Endless possibilities of syrup, ice, seltzer, and cream
Italian soda is can-do.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
What's your ideal meal?
A better basket.