Author Notes: Empanadas are wonderful magical meat pockets. Surrounded by a crust and baked or fried to crispy perfection. They are traditionally from the southern hemisphere and can vary in size, taste, texture and spiciness. While some countries make empanadas with corn meal in the dough, others use flour as a base for their dough. The meat filling can range from beef to pork to additions of boiled egg, olives, cabbage or capers. Where ever you find these beauties...they are always sure to please! - Lilly'sHomeJournal
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten and set aside
- 1 bowl of water to seal dough
- Place flour and salt in a mixing bowl and cut in the shortening till crumbly.
- Make a well in the center of the crumbs and add the water and vinegar. Mix with a fork until dough begins to come together. Then work with your hands and knead for a few minutes till dough is smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for one hour.
Empanada Beef Filling & Sofrito Sauce
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 packet Sazon seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Sofrito
- 1/2 cup Salsa verde, if not using Sofrito
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cheese, shredded, cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Adobo all purpose seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute beef, breaking up large chunks, till browned. Drain off fat drippings. Add onion, garlic and green pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add other ingredients and saute on medium till meat is tender and moisture is cooked out. Set aside to cool.
- Roll out empanada dough and cut into desired sized circles. dip fingers in water bowl and wet edges of dough circle. place 1 Tablespoon of meat and 1 Tablespoon of cheese in center. Fold dough over to make a half moon shape. Seal edges by gently pressing rounded edge with tines of a fork. Place on an oiled cookie sheet brushing the tops with egg wash and bake for 16 minutes at 425 till browned. Or deep fry in hot oil till browned.
- Serve with Sofrito Sauce. 1 cup sour cream 1 teaspoon sofrito 1 packet of Sazon seasoning 1 teaspoon garlic salt