If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made that Compote before with pears, orange, grapefruit, and also figs, lemon, and pineapple. Than I thought, since rhubarb is now in season, and I like to experiment with old recipes, I’ll try the combination I am presenting in this recipe.
It came out very good.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup good white vine
- ¼ teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- 1 ½ pounds firm ripe rhubarb stocks
- 1 large orange
- 1 grapefruit
- In a medium-size pan, bring sugar, vine, anise, lemon juice, and salt to a boil Reduce heat to simmer. Peel the rhubarb stocks with a vegetable peeler, quarter each of them.Place in hot syrup, cover, and simmer until barely tender when pierced (about 10 minutes); Cool.With a sharp small knife, peel and section orange and grapefruit, add them to the rhubarb; gently mix. Chill.
- Serve over Pound Cakes, Crepes, or use in Trifles as a fruit layer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe