If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was eight or nine years old, my best friend's mom gave my family a demonstration on how to make gyoza. Mrs. Ito was relatively new to the U.S, with limited English at the time, and a great cook. Over the years she gave us the gift of many beautiful, delicious meals. Their family moved to North Carolina when we were eleven, but they have remained dear family friends for decades to come. This week's contest made me wonder if my Mom had the original recipe, and it turns out she took notes some thirty years ago and still has them; she read them to me over the phone. I've never made these particular gyoza but I will tonight and share the results . . . - Sadassa_Ulna
Makes (i'll find out...)
- gyoza skins
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying gyoza
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Mix gyoza ingredients by hand "until the color of gray brick."
- Place a teaspoon of filling on a gyoza skin.
- Using your fingertip, moisten the edge of the skin with water.
- Fold at the center and make five pleats before sealing; press firmly to seal.
- Heat a large skillet on high; add two tablespoons vegetable oil or enough to generously coat pan.
- Place the gyoza in a pan overlapping.
- Cook over high heat until brown on the underside.
- Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup hot water; cover skillet with a lid; reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 3-4 minutes until filling is done.
- DIPPING SAUCE: whisk all ingredients in a small bowl.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dumplings
Caesar Salad Goes Vegan
You won't believe it's not anchovies.
Caesar salad goes vegan.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Connect with us.
Soffritto's a superstar.
This is poppin'.