If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I think souffles are underrated as a great mid-week family meal. This cheese souffle is simple and unfussy, and quite easy to make. I tend to serve this a lot in the colder months and often pair it with a big green salad and nice glass of wine. Also, my toddler loves this too because it is soft and easy to chew. - KelseyTheNaptimeChef —Kelsey Banfield
Food52 Review: What I love about this recipe is its simplicity, plus the fact that on any given day I always have the main ingredients in my fridge... eggs, cheese, milk, bread. Served with a handful of baby greens tossed lightly in a lemon vinaigrette, you have an elegant lunch or dinner in a matter of minutes.
I think what makes this soufflé so delicious is the choice of Gruyère cheese, it adds an extra layer of nutty flavor. I was a bit terrified about soufflés before trying this recipe, but now I know how easy they can be! —The Editors
Serves 1 7" souffle
- parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 7 tablespoons gruyere, grated
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter a 7" souffle dish and then toss finely grated parmesan cheese over the butter.
- Using a whisk, or an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Then, in a separate bowl, beat the yolks until they are smooth.
- Melt the butter over low-heat. Add the flour to melted butter and blend with a whisk. Add the milk and keep stirring the mixture until it is thickened and smooth. Bring to a boil and then remove it from the heat.
- Once the mixture is off the heat add in the cheese and egg yolks. Then, fold the stiff egg whites into the white sauce and pour the completed mixture into the buttered souffle dish.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes, or until the souffle has risen and set (it is no longer watery looking in the center and the edges are slightly browned). Serve immediately and enjoy.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Recipe of the Day
Stop! Sandwich time
Recipe of the Day
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
This queso is nuts.
Get your shine on.