If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had my first croque madame in a cafe across from the tuileries (not sure about the spelling...i'm no good with french--the language at least!). My girlfriend ordered the croque monsieur. i predicted that the waitress would remark that the croque madame was for me, the monsieur, and the croque monsieur was fro the madame, my girlfriend. I was right--it was a very funny human moment that crossed the language barrier. I've loved croques ever since,especially the croque madam! —Griffin
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 pound Gruyere Cheese
- 2 pieces Brioche
- 1 piece Thick-Cut Deli Ham
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place butter in saucepan and melt over medium heat
- Add flour and mix into melted butter to form a roux
- Add heavy cream and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly melt in shredded gruyere a handful at a time until all the cheese is melted.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter until hot.
- Toast two slices of brioche in the skillet on both sides until golden brown.
- Place slice of ham on one of the brioche toasts.
- Spoon 2 to tablespoons of bechamel over the ham.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to the same skillet used to toast the bread and heat between medium and medium high.
- Fry the egg in the skillet. Usually I flip the egg once to seal it on both sides, but sunny-side-up is great too!
- Season the egg with salt and pepper to taste and place on top of the cheese layer of the sandwich.
- Top with another spoonful of bechamel, then the second piece of toast.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the sandwich and dig in!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"