Author Notes: I am an espresso cafe manager. Our store's signature latte is called the Brew HaHa Latte, which is espresso, milk, mocha, and raspberry, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. I wanted to make a cake at home that reflected our most popular latte and this is what I came up with! It's amazing with the latte as well for all of you espresso lovers. - KissyBeth
Makes 6 individual cake servings
Mini mocha cake
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1.5 cups confectioner's sugar
- .5 cups good quality cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- .5 cups all purpose flour
- granulated sugar to coat 6 ramekins
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso or 2oz fresh espresso
- 2 ounces hot water if using espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Using 2 tbsp of melted butter, butter 6 ramekins and coat with granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer until it doubles in size and is lighter in color.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa with the other 2 tbsp of melted butter. Add the hot water and espresso, or the 2oz of fresh espresso. Stir until incorporated.
- Gently incorporate the chocolate espresso mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Add a pinch of salt to the flour, then slowly stir the flour into the chocolate and egg mixture.
- Gently pour the cake mix into the six sugared ramekins and put them on a cookie sheet. Cook for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Take them out of the oven, let them cool for 3 to 4 minutes, then invert them onto individual plates.
- Fill with raspberry filling and top with espresso whipped cream. Recipes follow.
Raspberry filling and whipped cream
- 1 packet 10 oz bag frozen raspberries thawed
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso
- hot water to dissolve the espresso
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- dark chocolate shavings
- Mix thawed raspberries, lemon juice, 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar, and the cornstarch in a blender. Strain and in a small suacepan bring the strained mixture to a boil until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the espresso whipped cream, completely dissolve the instant espresso powder. Let the coffee cool.
- Whip the cream, 2 tbsp confectioner's sugar, dash of cinnamon, and the cooled espresso until soft peaks.
- Using a pastry bag, fill the mini chocolate latte cakes with the raspberry filling. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with fresh raspberries and chocolate shavings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee