Author Notes: A few months back the gloom that is june in la inspired me to bake. I needed something that would warm the home and the heart. I knew that mole combined chocolate and chili and thought i would try and put the combination together in a cookie ... about a bajillion trys later viola ... u have this amazingly chewy, chocolaty, spicy cookie. I am really into the history of food and did a little research ... here is what i found ----> The chocolate chili connection is an Aztec concoction. Aztecs associated chocolate with Xochiquetzal, the goddess of fertility. Chocolate was consumed in a bitter, spicy drink called xocolātl, often seasoned with vanilla, chile pepper, and achiote (aka annatto). Xocolātl was believed to fight fatigue, a belief that can be attributed to the theobromine content ( it's kinda like caffeine) So um yeah ... who said chocolate wasn’t good for you?!?! And chocolate with a kick ... insta party! - amreen
Food52 Review: My husband and I loved them. The fact that the heat comes after the bite of rich chocolate, a mouth pre cooling system of sorts, is really fun and delicious.
(We edited the measurements of this recipe to reflect the changes amreen made in the comments section.) - Jestei
Makes 20 cookies
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 sticks butter - softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 cup Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the butter, sugar egg & vanilla ---> whip until creamy.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, chili & cinnamon.
- Pour 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, beat until incorporated. Repeat until it is all combined.
- Incorporate the chocolate chips into the batter. Let the batter firm up in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Use a teaspoon to spoon the batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 7-8 minutes ----> you will get perfectly chewy cookies :D
- Let the cookies cool and consume with caution!!