If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was never notified that this recipe was selected as an "editors' pick" for the "New York Times." I never heard from the "Times" before or after it appeared. I am so proud to have had a recipe published. I am a rabbi (retired) with a passion for food, If my name were to appear in the "New York Times" I would have imagined it as an officiant for a wedding. This is much more exciting! I prepared this recipe for last year's "Men Who Cook" fundraiser for Mesilla Valley Hospice. All 150 cookies prepared for tasting were consumed in less than an hour! - LC Rebbe
Makes 48 - 54 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cups light brown sugar (lightly packed)
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (for tossing)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (for tossing)
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until combined.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift next 6 ingredients together
- Gradually add dry sifted ingredients to butter mixture, beating until just blended.
- In a separate bowl combine white and semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- Toss chips and pecans with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon chili powder.
- Carefully stir tossed chips and nut mixture into dough until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto sheets, spacing 1 ½ inches apart (16 per cookie sheet).
- Bake for about 9-11 minutes in a conventional oven, or 10 minutes if using the “convection bake” setting.
- Turn trays around halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven.
- Let stand on sheets 3 - 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.
- For a crisper cookie - DO NOT FREEZE. Store in airtight container (as you would for shortbread). For a chewy cookie – FREEZE AND THAW.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For