Author Notes: I love chocolate and fruit so I've added candied orange peel to this simple, elegant—not to mention gluten-free—cake adapted from Craig Claiborne. - Giulia Melucci
- 6 ounces good quality dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 7-inch springform pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture has thickened and the color had lightened a bit. Stir in the chocolate. Fold in the walnuts and the orange peel.
- Whip the egg whites with salt until very light and fluffy. Fold them into the chocolate mixture, then pour all of it into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until top is round and springy. Cool in pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with whipped or vanilla ice cream, if you like.