If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family made a version of this for years, growing up in South Africa lamb was readily available. The original recipe calls for rosemary but I like oregano much better. I made this for my husband and its still one of his favorite dishes - Ushan
- 6 pieces lamb chops
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (petite chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 can of cannelli beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 cloves of garlic (I grate it using microplane grater)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and you are going to need to make this in an oven proof skillet
- Salt, pepper and oregano the chops and put them into a warmed skillet - you want to brown them on both sides - once this is done; put them on a plate and cover them with some foil
- Turn the heat to medium and add the olive oil and garlic and once you can smell the garlic add the onion and saute quickly until translucent (taking care not to burn the garlic). Add the lemon zest here
- Add the tomatoes with the juice, the rinsed beans and balsamic vinegar and stir well to incorporate - add the lamb chops back into the pan with the juice (important because they add to the flavor of the sauce) STIR really well to make sure lamb is covered with sauce.
- Place in oven with foil covering it for about 10 minutes - then remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy with crusty bread and a salad
- I have also made this and put it into a crock pot on low heat in the summer (doesn't heat up your kitchen) - Once you get to step 4 - add all of the ingredients into a warm crock pot and put it on low and let it simmer. You can also double or triple this recipe and ask your butcher to cut up a leg of lamb for you with the bone and cook the entire thing in the crockpot if you have a crowd coming.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.