Author Notes: This recipe comes from an Italian Seafood class I've taught for many years. I've also included it in Grilling classes. It's so easy it's ridiculous, and it's ridiculously delicious.
Although this really is a “grill recipe,” it works quite well with a stove-top grill pan. Make sure you get the pan VERY hot and brush it well with olive oil. - ChefJune
Serves 6 as an appetizer
- 12 good-sized calamari (bodies only)
- 1 10 ounce bag spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the toothpicks in a bowl of water for at least 1/2 hour.
- Clean the calamari thoroughly. Be sure there is no gristle or ink left inside.
- Stem and wash the spinach. Make sure all the sand is removed. Chop the garlic finely. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic, and make sure it does not burn. Add the spinach and sauté over low heat until it is thoroughly wilted. Drain well. Chop finely.
- Put a small amount of the filling (about 2 tablespoons) into each squid body. Secure the top with a toothpick.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Grill over hot grill (or in a grill pan) for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe