If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My wife came up with the combination of orange/cardamom as a flavor profile for these cookies when I asked her the other night, what her ideal chocolate cookie would taste like. To that, I added the hazelnut flour because I am such a fan of hazelnut and chocolate together...think NUTELLA. Finally, the fleur de sel sprinkle was inspired by some of my favorite chocolate cookies ever, Kayak Cookies' "Salty Oats", that are made on Cape Cod. - Oui, Chef
Makes 3 dozen
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut meal/flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- Fleur de sel
- Preheat the oven to 350 ?, and ready 2 sheet trays with silpats or parchment paper
- Combine the 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate in the bowl of a double boiler and melt, let cool.
- In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the cooled chocolate, vanilla, and orange zest, then the eggs, one at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition.
- Sift together the AP flour, baking soda, kosher salt, cocoa powder, cardamom, and the hazelnut meal/flour. Add to the bowl and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Add the bittersweet chunks and chips, mix to distribute.
- Spoon the cookie dough by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared sheets, and place in the oven for about 14 minutes.
- When done, remove the cookies from the oven and immediately sprinkle them with a large grained fleur de sel. Place on a rack to cool. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cookie
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce
Style with a breeze.
The Poor Man's Parmesan
Satisfy your salty, crunchy, oily cravings -- without the price tag.