Author Notes: My sweetie used to drive up 3 hours to see me when he had a few days off.
The first time I fixed this for him he loved it, and 8 years later he is still asking for it.
It is cheap, easy to fix, and quick, you don't have to spend all day in the kitchen .This also is a nice light supper too. - jane mcmillan
- 4 cups refrigerated hash browns, or make your own. if you make your own, be sure to squeeze all the water out with a twisted tea towel before cooking
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 pound breakfast sausage, browned and drained well
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of your favorite cheese, I used American in the picture
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper or to taste
- Heat the butter and oil over med high heat in a teflon pan.When hot, add onion and saute til translucent.
- Sprinkle the potatoes over the oil, then just leave alone until the potatoes are nicely browned,
- Flip the potatoes over, and add whatever extras you like at this time, sausage, crispy bacon, asparagus. tomato slices,
- When potatoes are starting to brown, make 4 wells , making sure they are wide enough to have the eggs have good contact with the pan.
- Break one egg in each well, cover and cook for a few minutes, salt and pepper and cover each egg with a slice of cheese.
- Cover and cook until eggs are done to your liking. A trick I learned is to not cover completely one egg with cheese to use as a test egg for doneness.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner