If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My sweetie used to drive up 3 hours to see me when he had a few days off.
The first time I fixed this for him he loved it, and 8 years later he is still asking for it.
It is cheap, easy to fix, and quick, you don't have to spend all day in the kitchen .This also is a nice light supper too. - jane mcmillan
- 4 cups refrigerated hash browns, or make your own. if you make your own, be sure to squeeze all the water out with a twisted tea towel before cooking
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 pound breakfast sausage, browned and drained well
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of your favorite cheese, I used American in the picture
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper or to taste
- Heat the butter and oil over med high heat in a teflon pan.When hot, add onion and saute til translucent.
- Sprinkle the potatoes over the oil, then just leave alone until the potatoes are nicely browned,
- Flip the potatoes over, and add whatever extras you like at this time, sausage, crispy bacon, asparagus. tomato slices,
- When potatoes are starting to brown, make 4 wells , making sure they are wide enough to have the eggs have good contact with the pan.
- Break one egg in each well, cover and cook for a few minutes, salt and pepper and cover each egg with a slice of cheese.
- Cover and cook until eggs are done to your liking. A trick I learned is to not cover completely one egg with cheese to use as a test egg for doneness.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner