If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple recipe uses coconut and Indian-inspired spices to add pizazz to a pretty ordinary meal. Add some brown rice or sweet potatoes and you've got yourself a meal! - Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup black lentils
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- toasted coconut, optional, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and saute, on medium heat, for a few minutes till softening.
- Add the spices and salt and continue cooking for a few minutes longer, till your kitchen smells wonderful and the onions are nice and soft.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, and 1 cup of water. Cover, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook, covered, for about 45 minutes. Check the water level occasionally and add more water if needed. Serve warm, garnished with toasted coconut if you're feeling fancy. If you have any leftovers, put them away for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner