If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is such a wonderful theme! I had so many ideas, but I really wanted to be different and stray from pasta or soup so I chose curry. This is a very mild curry, that is actually more a rich stew. The chicken and onions are braised in coconut milk which make this dish creamy and delicious. The total cost for this creamy chicken curry is roughly $ 10.00 to serve 4. Using my math team skills, this comes out to $ 2.50 a person, you just cannot beat it! Enjoy this flavorful, healthy and dirt cheap dinner. - Table9 - Table9
Food52 Review: Table9's Cheap Creamy Chicken Curry is a lovely, subtle curry that tastes anything but cheap! The spice blend is flawless and packs just the right amount of punch, and the use of coconut milk is canny indeed, lending the dish a wonderful richness and complexity. The only thing I would change is to hold back on half the water, adding more as needed. - wssmom - wssmom
- 2 tablespoons Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Fresh Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Ground Tumeric
- 1 pound Boneless Chicken Breasts, Cut into 1"Bite Size Pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Hot Water (optional)
- In a wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook for 6-8 minutes or until transparent. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Stir in cumin, tumeric, 1 teaspoon curry powder, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt- cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste. Mix to combine.
- In ziploc bag, toss chicken pieces in remaining curry powder, season with salt and pepper. Add to wok, and cook for about 5-6 minutes until outside is golden brown.
- Pour coconut milk into the wok-if coconut milk has separated from the fat, pour the liquid in and add a tablespoon or so of fat until you have the creamy consistency that you desire. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add hot water if there is not enough liquid, because it has cooked down.
- Serve hot with white rice if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro and a squeeze of lime if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.