If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom made parsley red potatoes at least once a week when we were kids. Since I never liked mashed potatoes, these seemed utterly delicious and downright decadent in comparison. Now I pair them with spiced-up black bean patties for a quick, cheap, and hearty meal. A large part of cheap meals is having a recipe that can be completely variable depending on what you have around the house. These patties can be made with any type of bean, carrots, zucchini, green onions, corn, etc.
This will fill you up, tingle your tastebuds, and give you lunch for the next day--all for about $10. It can be made gluten-free. Always save your bread crusts, grind them up in a food processor or blender, and freeze them for long life. —beyondcelery
Black Bean Patties
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoons chipotle, cayenne, or other hot or black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro or parsley (fresh or dried, optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped raw onion
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons hulled, roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1-2 eggs
- In a medium bowl, combine spices into flour, cornmeal, and bread crumbs. Add black beans, onion, carrots, and sunflower seeds (if using). Beat in egg(s), using 1-2 depending on size of eggs and amount of vegetables you add. You want it wet, but not runny.
- Heat 1 Tbls olive oil in a skillet. Spoon batter onto skillet and nudge into patties. Cook about 5 minutes per side, until browned.
Parsley Red Potatoes
- 10 small-medium red potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Boil red potatoes whole until tender. Drain.
- After the water is poured out of the pot where you boiled the potatoes, melt the butter. Fry chopped garlic in butter about 30 seconds.
- Add boiled potatoes to garlic butter mixture and roll around to coat. Add chopped parsley. If it seems dry, add a dash of olive oil. You may also want a dash of salt, depending on taste.
- Serve hot, accompanied by black bean patties. Finish it off with one piece of dark chocolate for dessert (even the poorest cupboard ought to have that around every now and again).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Honey makes for better, refined sugar-free buns
Good morning, honey.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.