Author Notes: This is easy and not expensive Entry dish.
I make it for breakfast or brunch filled with a spread of ricotta, feta, chives and dill; and serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt dip.
It is also very tasty with Eggplant- Kalamata olives or Mushroom spreads.
My favorite staffing is Black Bean spread with pan-fried chorizo and Manchego Cheese.
The Black Bean spread has the same ingredients only instead of parsley I use cilantro, instead of chicken thighs I brown 10 onuses dry chorizo sliced 1/4 inch thick.
The Manchego Cheese I shred and serve on the side.
Frying gives them a deep golden color and a crunchy texture. - Kukla
- • 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- • 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for frying
- • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- • 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- • 11/2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- • 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- • 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- • Freshly ground pepper
- • 4 good quality pitas cut in half
- • 2eggs beaten
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Brown chicken thighs on both sides until cooked through, transfer to a plate, and cool.
- To the same pan add onion; cook until softened, and caramelized (about 15 minutes). Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add chickpeas, cook 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 15 minutes.
- Add chickpea mixture, mint, parsley, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor, season with pepper, and puree. With machine running, add remaining 1/4 cup oil in a slow, steady stream, mixing until emulsified. Transfer to a bowl. Divide to 8 equal portions.
- Cut cooled chicken thighs into thin slices. Fill each half of pitas with the chickpea spread and 4 chicken slices. Lightly press to evenly distribute the stuffing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve; heat a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a shallow dish beat eggs, dip each of the filled pitas, and fry for 2 minutes on each side. Quickly drain on paper towels, then arrange on a serving platter. Serve while steel worm. On a separate plate serve roasted bell peppers, and feta cheese. Sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner