If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is easy and not expensive Entry dish.
I make it for breakfast or brunch filled with a spread of ricotta, feta, chives and dill; and serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt dip.
It is also very tasty with Eggplant- Kalamata olives or Mushroom spreads.
My favorite staffing is Black Bean spread with pan-fried chorizo and Manchego Cheese.
The Black Bean spread has the same ingredients only instead of parsley I use cilantro, instead of chicken thighs I brown 10 onuses dry chorizo sliced 1/4 inch thick.
The Manchego Cheese I shred and serve on the side.
Frying gives them a deep golden color and a crunchy texture. —Kukla
- • 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- • 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for frying
- • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- • 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- • 11/2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- • 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- • 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- • Freshly ground pepper
- • 4 good quality pitas cut in half
- • 2eggs beaten
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Brown chicken thighs on both sides until cooked through, transfer to a plate, and cool.
- To the same pan add onion; cook until softened, and caramelized (about 15 minutes). Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add chickpeas, cook 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 15 minutes.
- Add chickpea mixture, mint, parsley, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor, season with pepper, and puree. With machine running, add remaining 1/4 cup oil in a slow, steady stream, mixing until emulsified. Transfer to a bowl. Divide to 8 equal portions.
- Cut cooled chicken thighs into thin slices. Fill each half of pitas with the chickpea spread and 4 chicken slices. Lightly press to evenly distribute the stuffing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve; heat a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a shallow dish beat eggs, dip each of the filled pitas, and fry for 2 minutes on each side. Quickly drain on paper towels, then arrange on a serving platter. Serve while steel worm. On a separate plate serve roasted bell peppers, and feta cheese. Sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Spick and Span
Our staff's best storage tips and tricks
Our staff's best storage tips.
This week's #happylist.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our favorite 3-ingredient (or fewer!) recipes.
Storage made crystal clear.