If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every summer I spend a few weeks at my sister’s house in Brittany, and I come back every time with a new culinary obsession inspired by countless hours spent around the kitchen with my family cooking, eating, and talking about food. One year my preoccupation was yogurt, another time marinated olives, and one year it was slow-roasted lamb. There simply is no better way to cook – or eat – lamb. It’s completely stress-free and utterly delicious.
The gist of the recipe is to rub the lamb with herbs and garlic and let it cook for hours in a very low oven. It is a beautiful dish to serve for any holiday feast, and with a bit of luck there might be some left over for a lazy next day.
It would go very well with oven-roasted vegetables, polenta, or mashed potatoes. - nettleandquince
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 generous sprigs each of sage, rosemary, thyme, summer savory
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 Tbsps sea salt
- 6 garlic cloves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 bone-in lamb shoulder (about 6 lbs or 3 kg)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Finely chop the herbs. In a mortar, coarsely grind the coriander seeds and set aside. Next grind together the salt and garlic cloves. Mix in the herbs, coriander, and a generous amount of black pepper. Finally drizzle 3-4 tablespoons olive oil to make a coarse paste.
- Trim the fat from the lamb and rub with the herb paste on all sides. Place the lamb shoulder in a large cast-iron pot or roasting pan. Put the lamb in the oven and let roast at a high temperature for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300°F (150°C), seal the pot with a tight-fitting lid (or with aluminum foil if using a roasting tray), and forget the lamb in the oven for 3 or 4 hours.
- The meat will fall off the bone, and it will be even more delicious reheated the next day.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.