If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's 5 PM on a cold winter day. I've just returned home from work and my family is hungry for dinner. Having given no prior thought to a menu, I open the cupboard and peer at cans and boxes on the shelf. There's a tall red can of Salmon. That's it! I'll make salmon patties for dinner.
I learned to make these from my Grandmotherr who called them salmon latkes. Like me, she always kept cans of salmon in her cupboards.
They are the perfect quick delicious meal on a cold winter night and they cost next to nothing to prepare. To please the grown up palate, you can mix some sricaha (the homemade kind) with some sour cream, crème fraiche, or mayonnaise for a spicy topping.
- 1 large can of red salmon, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup onion or scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh paresley or dill or both
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup cornflake crumbs, bread crumbs, or matzo meal
- grapseseed or ghee for frying
- 1 teaspoon sriacha, hot sacue, or harissa
- 1/3 cup sour cream, mayonaise, or creme fraiche
- 1 lemon, in think slices
- Mix salmon, eggs, crumbs, herbs, seaonsings, and onions in a bowl or food processor and mix (or pulse) to just combine.
- Heat about 1/4 inch oil or ghee in a large frying pan untl hot and sizzling.
- Form patties with your hands or drop in spoofuls of the salmon mixture using a large mixing spoon. Cook until golden brwon and crispy on one side, then turn over and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix he sriacha with the mayonnaise, sour cream or crème fraiche.
- Serve patties with a dab of sauce and a slice of lemon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.