If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband said if he was ever on death row this would be his last meal for sure. This is like a southern meets mexican fuision dish. The combination of the pulled pork on top of the cake topped with traditional mexican condiments works so well together. And since you use pork shoulder it makes this a cheap dish to serve to a crowd. Get the margartias and mexican beers ready! - singing_baker
- 1 Jalepeno, diced with seeds
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 2 Chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 28 ounces Can Whole Tomatos, roughly chopped
- 3 pounds Pork Shoulder, either bone-in or out
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- pinches Cayenne
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup Cheddar, grated, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 6-8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Sour cream (optional)
- Put all ingredients for pulled pork into a slow cooker on high. after about 4 hours take out pork and shred using two forks. Return meat to the slow cooker and place heat on low for 1 more hour.
- When pork is almost done start to make hoecakes. Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Slowly add water until dough comes together. take about a 1/4 cup of dough and shape into a flat disc about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Fry hoecakes about 3-4 per side until golden.
- To assemble pile pulled pork on top of hoecake and garnich with avocado, cheese and sourcream if desired. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner