If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this as a vegetarian variation to the traditional Sweet and Sour Chicken that most of us are familiar with. I chose butter beans because they are large enough to not get lost in the meal and also because I love how creamy they are. I use this meal to keep the kids happy and healthy while keeping the food budget in balance. Normally I only have to buy the vegetables, pineapple chunks, and butter beans. The grand total is $6.49. Not bad to feed my family of five. - Dabblings
Serves 4 (with leftovers for a lunch for mom)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion; chopped small
- 1 red bell pepper; chopped small
- 1 clove of garlic; minced
- 1 can of plain tomato sauce; 8 oz. (I usually get the salt-free kind and add my own salt)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can of pineapple chunks; 20 oz. *In pineapple juice*
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice reserved from pineapple chunks
- 2 one lb. cans of butter beans; rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Rice for serving
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated add the onion, red pepper, and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, mustard, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and pineapple juice. Stir to combine.
- Once combined add in the pineapple chunks, and the butter beans.
- Combine the corn starch with the water in a separate bowl and then dump the mixture in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and the drop the heat to low and simmer; stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Heat Without Fear
Spice up your life.
Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu
Easygoing banana bread.
DIY Herb Rub
Fried Goat Cheese with Honey and Black Pepper
Go play outside!