Author Notes: This is a family favorite of ours. - Sue Anne
Makes 16 servings
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 6 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup Self-Rising Flour
- 3/4 cups Shortening
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- Rinse chicken and place in a 10 quart pot.
- Fill pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from the broth and de-bone and then return chicken to the broth.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, self-rising flour, shortening and milk. Mix and knead dough.
- Roll out dough, adding flour as needed. Cut into 2" X 2" squares.
- Bring chicken and broth to a rolling boil.
- Place squares individually into broth and chicken, then boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner