If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently discovered that I love zucchini and as a non-vegetable eater I needed to find dishes that included it. I was inspired by a recipe in Food & Wine magazine to pair this yummy veggie with two other things I love: a grilled sandwich and cheese. The herbed mayo is simple to make at home, and lasts a while. Can be made with fresh or dried herbs. I also used a grill pan for the whole dish, but a baking dish and pan will work as well! —NYC SweetTooth
Makes 1 sandwich
- 1 zucchini cut lengthwise into 1/8th inch slices
- 1-2 tablespoons Herbed Mayo (see below)
- 2-3 thin slices of Fontina cheese
- 3-4 slices Black Forest Ham or Rosemary Ham
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil (for brushing)
- 2 slices of crusty country bread
- Using a grill pan, brush the zucchini slices with olive oil and grill 2-3 minutes on each side until you see grill marks (roasting the zucchini also will work here, depending on what you prefer). Simultaneously grill the bread for about 1 minute on one side.
- Remove the bread and spread the herbed mayo on the grilled sides of the bread. Build the sandwich on the herbed mayo side beginning with the ham then alternating layers of cheese and zucchini
- Close the sandwich and brush olive oil on the outsides. Grill one side for about 1-2 minutes and flip the sandwich and grill until grill marks show and the cheese is melted.
- 1 cup Plain mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley (finely chopped or dried)
- 1 teaspoon Tarragon (finely chopped or dried)
- 1 teaspoon Basil (finely chopped or dried)
- 1 dash Dill (finely chopped or dried)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise with all the herbs and mix until combined. Keep stored in air-tight container in the fridge.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
It's in the bag.