If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Amanda wrote in Cooking for Mr. Latte that "oeufs mayonnaise" is really just an excuse to eat mayonnaise. So it is with oeufs aioli (this version has basil). - MeghanVK —MeghanVK
Food52 Review: I followed Meghan VK's recipe almost exactly....except...I used my trusty marble mortar and pestle. I loved making this because it is basically one of my favorite go to recipes that I make very often. It is delicious as she has described it on toast and eggs, as well as on vegetables and many other applications. This is a sound recipe that should be on everyones list of basics, if it is not already there. —dymnyno
For the Aioli
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon julienned basil leaves
For the Rest of it:
- 2 eggs
- 1 large thick slice of delicious bread, toasted
- To make the aioli, whisk together the garlic, egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, and a glug of the oil. As you continue to whisk, add the oils in a thin stream until the aioli is thickened. Mix in the basil. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Poach the eggs: put on a pan of water to simmer over medium-high heat. Crack each egg into a small bowl or teacup. Using a spoon, swirl the water to create a gentle cyclone inside the pan, and slip the egg into the center. Continue to lightly swirl the water over the egg, which will help the white wrap around it. Repeat with the second egg and then allow them to simmer for three minutes or until set. Remove with a slotted spoon onto paper towels.
- To assemble, spread the toast with aioli and top with the eggs. Sprinkle with salt. Add another large dollop of the aioli on top. Spread all over with a knife and eat!
Move Over, Boozy Pops
We Prefer Our Pops All-In
We shall call them pop-tails.
We are in love—with this toast.