If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A few years ago, I discovered the pleasure that can be found in goat cheese. It's tangy, a little salty, and creamy. In search of a perfect pairing I ran across one of my childhood favorites, the Granny Smith Apple.
Submitted for my pleasure and your approval, one of the few sandwiches I can make in less than 20 minutes, the highly flavorful and indispensably mobile addition to anyone's lunch pail: "Granny's Goat" - 20MinuteSandwich
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 Kaiser Rolls
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons your favorite white wine
- 1/2 cup mixed salad greens, shredded
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almond or Crumbled Candied Pecans
- Place the goat cheese (roll, log, container, or portion on a small plate) in the microwave and heat in increments of 5 seconds to soften enough to spread, but not melted.
- Laterally, through the transverse plane, half the kaiser rolls using a bread knife, chef's knife, cleaver, or samurai sword (I'm not to be held liable for any incidental or accidental incisions, lacerations, or abrasions).
- Using approximately 1 oz per roll half, cover all four open planes of the kaiser rolls in goat cheese.
- Cut the Granny Smith apple in such a way to produce a number of slices, ideally 2-4 centimeters in thickness, adequate to cover the area of the kaiser roll twice.
- Mix the honey and white wine in a small ramekin and place in the microwave for approximately 5-10 seconds. Honey should mix easily with the wine.
- In a bowl, toss the mixed salad greens with the honey wine mixture until the greens are saturated.
- Assemble the sandwich in this order- bottom half of kaiser roll with goat cheese, sprinkle of the almond or candied pecan, apple slices, mixed greens, apple slices, mixed greens, sprinkle of the almond or candied pecan, top half of kaiser roll with goat cheese.
- Apply pressure to prevent runaway ingredients. Arrange on a dish with leftover apple slices.
- Pour a glass of your favorite wine and enjoy the fruits (literally) of your effort.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food