If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love Boston Cream Pie, could never quite figure out why they call it a pie but anyway you cut it its delicious. Yellow cake, creamy pastry cream and silky ganache. I can't resist. I love Kahlua adding some to the ganache gives it a little bit of a kick! This is the link to the recipe for Tender Yellow Cake: http://www.food52.com/recipes/11618_tender_yellow_cake - sdebrango
Cake and pastry cream
- 1 layer of yellow cake ( I use my go to tender yellow cake recipe, you only need one layer (wrap and freeze the other one)
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean split or 2 tsp pure vanilla extraxt see note in step 1.and step 3
- 5 tablespoons Sugar (1/4 cup + 1 tbs
- 3 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Corn starch or flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place half and half or milk, vanilla bean and sugar in medium saucepan. (NOTE: If you are using vanilla extract do not add your vanilla now) Cook on high heat bring almost to boiling. Remove from heat. In medium bowl whisk eggs and 1 tbs sugar until thickened sift in cornstarch or flour and beat until combined.
- Pour hot milk into egg mixture whisking as you pour. Pour back into saucepan and cook on medium high heat whisking constantly until mixture thickens takes approximately 2 minutes and if you are using a thermometer the take it off the stove when the temperature reaches 165. It will be very thick. Remove vanilla bean. The pastry cream is enough for one 9 inch cake.
- Transfer to bowl. Add vanilla extract now if you did not use a vanilla bean and add the butter stir and cover with plastic wrap pressing it directly onto the surface of the cream. Refrigerate until completely cooled. I purposely made this recipe very thick because it has to hold up as the filling for the cake. If your pastry cream is too thick after cooling add a little milk or cream and beat, it will loosen up but be careful not to add too much milk you don't want this too thin.
- 4 ounces Dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua (Or other coffee liquor)
- 1 tablespoon Clear corn syrup (Optional)
- Heat cream in small saucepan until hot but not boiling. In medium mixing bowl add your chopped chocolate, pour hot cream on top of the chocolate and let sit for approximately 5 minutes, stir chocolate should be melted and silky smooth. Add the Kahlua, and optional corn syrup stir and let sit for 15 minutes it will begin to thicken but should be pourable.
- Cut your cake in half, put the pastry cream on the bottom half of the cake, put the top layer back on. Pour or spoon the ganache over the top of the cake. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
A Genius Secret Weapon to Keep on Hand
Freeze it right there.
A genius secret weapon for your freezer.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
You won't be board with this game.