Author Notes: Inspired by all things spring/ summer ( Southern California is not quite sure of it's season yet ) but wanting something a little different from the usual beef burger, my go to books and magazines for ideas always seem to be Australian . This recipe was adapted from one in the Delicious ( a superb ) food magazine . - foodfanatic
Goat's cheese aoli
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup goat's cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup sunflower or grapeseed oil
- salt to taste
Lamb burger and beet salsa
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 11/2 cups ready roasted baby beets, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- toasted hamburger buns and salad leaves
- Combine the lamb with half of the onion, garlic, parsley, 11/2 tsp cumin and half of the mint. This can be done in a food processor although I prefer to do it by hand. Season with salt and pepper and form 4 patties.
- Place beets in a bowl bowl with remaining cumin, onion and mint. Add cilantro, lemon juice and oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil the lamb patties cook over a medium heat on a grill pan or cast-iron skillet, to your liking.
- Serve the burgers on lightly toasted hamburger buns with salad leaves, aoli and beet salsa.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Aioli