If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cooks prize Lychees for their exotic perfume and fruity flavor, but I always was a little apprehensive. They looked strange to me in their shells.
Than, when I found caned lychees, they were shelled, pitted, and juicy, just ready to use in this fragrant Sauce and Bellini which I made before with other caned or frozen fruits or berries. I add lime juice because the lychees are caned in heavy syrup.
Serves makes 3 cups sauce and 6 bellini.
Lychee and Ginger Ice Cream Sauce.
- • ¼ cup sugar
- • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- • 1 can (15oz) lychees
- • 1 tablespoon butter
- • 1 tablespoon candied ginger, minced
- • 2 tablespoons lime juice
- • ½ inch slice fresh ginger, with skin
- • ½ cup granulated sugar
- • 1 cup cold water
- • 1 can (15oz) lychees drained and then semi-frozen
- • 3-4 tablespoons lime juice
- • 1 bottle Champagne or Sparkling Wine chilled
- To make Lychee Sauce: Mix together sugar and cornstarch in a sauce pan. Drain syrup from lychees (about 1 cup) and blend into cornstarch mixture. Add butter and ginger and cook, stirring, until sauce bubbles and thickens (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in lychees and lime juice. Serve warm or room temperature spooned over ice cream.
- For the Bellini: Begin by making the ginger simple syrup. Peel and grate the ginger. Add it together with the sugar and cold water to a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves. Cover and let steep for 15 minutes. Strain, discard ginger pieces and set simple syrup aside.
- In a blender add lychees and blend until completely pureed. Add ginger simple syrup, lime juice and the syrup from drained lychees, blend and then place into the refrigerator to cool.
- For serving: Pour puree to a cocktail shaker, top off with Champagne and shake vigorously to combine. Pour into Champagne or any tall glasses and repeat process as needed. This photo was taking May/ 29/ 2011 at my Son’s In Law Birthday Brunch.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe
Express your gratitude for sunshine.
Good day, sunshine.
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
12 Recipes for a Stress-Free Week of Cooking