If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In St. Louis, if it's Christmastime, you go to pick out your tree at Ted Drewe's. If it's summer, you go to Ted's to pick out your concrete. Not the stone stuff for your patio, but the creamiest most wonderful cold treat ever. And don't call it an ice cream--this is frozen custard.
If you've never had frozen custard--stop what you are doing, run to the store and get eggs, cream, milk, some sugar and vanilla. Grab a big bag of ice and a box of rock salt, because this just needs to be done right....Come back and fire up that old fashioned crank ice cream maker.
Now if you must cheat and substitute ice cream, get the french vanilla type...it will have a little better flavor. Mix in the homemade chocolate and caramel syrups and the toasted, salted pecans. This will elevate the ice cream to dizzying heights. And when you finish combining these magical ingredients, turn it upside down for a moment to awe your friends, family and neighbors before they snatch it out of your hands. - lorigoldsby - lorigoldsby
Food52 Review: I found the frozen custard creamy and rich, and it was really delicious all on it's own. The chocolate sauce was very thick, rather like a pudding. The caramel sauce was also quite thick and I found it a bit harder to work with when making the concrete because it was already really thick and then when I tried to mix it in, it clumped up. The concrete was good and the salted caramel pecans really added a nice crunch to the dessert. Yum! - Marcal - Marcal
For the Frozen Custard
- 8 fresh egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups half n half
- 3/4 cup vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the Chocolate and Caramel Sauces
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 stick of butter, divided
- 2 pinches french grey salt
- 1/2 cup whole pecans
- Make your custard. Simmer cream and half and half. Wisk egg yolks and sugar. Temper cream into eggs 1/4 of mixture at a time.
- Cook custard until it reaches 170 degrees
- Take off burner immediately, allow to come to room temp. Add vanilla. (You don't want vanilla to burn off, so wait until it is cool) Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until custard is close to 40 degrees.
- Follow ice cream maker's directions. When ice maker is finished, you will probably have a "soft serve" consistancy. For a concrete, you need to freeze it for 4 hours. (sorry:( but you can lick the container!)
- Make the chocolate sauce by mixing the cocoa powder, sugar and corn starch in a small heavy saucepan. Add the evaporated milk and whisk to encorpoate. Add 1/2 stick of butter. Bring to a low boil for 5 minutes. Cool then refrigerate to allow mixture to thicken.
- Make the caramel sauce by heating heavy cream, brown sugar and butter and bring to a soft stage boil (238 degrees and then add salt and vanilla. Cool, then refrigerate to allow mixture to thicken.
- To make salted caramel pecans: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle a little of the warm caramel sauce on the pecans and then sprinkle the french grey salt on top. Bake at 350 for 5-8 minutes, until fragarant.
- Chill metal mixing bowl in freezer
- To make the concrete: Put scoops of frozen custard in chilled metal mixing bowl. Add drizzles of caramel and chocolate sauce and smash in some of the salted caramel pecans.
- Fold into serving dish. Turn dish upside down right before presenting it, "a la Ted Drewes" to show everyone your masterpiece of summer.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
You won't be board with this game.