If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Until I was 30, or maybe it was 40, I loved very chocolaty desserts that oozed chocolate or exploded chocolate. I though chocolate fountains were a not-bad idea. But lately I've hankered for a more subtle relationship to chocolate. This cookie is a densely cakey one, on the not -too-sweet side; black pepper and dried cherries, as well as a bit more salt than usual, seem to make grownups more aware of the chocolate's charms. This means you don't go into a coma if you eat more than one. Add a few extra chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate) if you have kids around. - ENunn
Serves 4-5 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried cherries
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk,
- 1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate chips
- Position oven rack in top third of oven; preheat to 350. Lightly grease a cookie sheet, or use a Silpat mat. In a small bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, cocoa; whisk until thoroughly mixed. Stir in chopped dried cherries. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and white sugar on medium speed until fluffy; beat in brown sugar, egg; continue beating until well blended.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, 1/3 at a time, blending thoroughly with each addition. Stir in chocolate chips/pieces by hand. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour, at least.
- Form dough into 1 -inch balls (about a heaping tablespoon) and place on cookie sheet (one dozen should fit); press down to flatten, since cookies won't spread much. You want small cookies, here. Bake 12 minutes; cool on cookie sheet.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cookie
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.