If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This sandwich a delightful study in contrast: a little sweet, a little savory, a little bit grown-up and a little bit kid. It's fun to make -- and very quick and easy, too. If you have apricot chutney handy, then use that, but this quick facsimile of chutney works just as well. —vrunka
Food52 Review: WHO: vrunka is an always-trustworthy FOOD52-er, a librarian, and a self-described "kitchen tornado."
WHAT: A wacky-sounding sandwich -- that works.
HOW: You layer cinnamon sugar toast with goat cheese, ham, and a doctored-up apricot chutney, then brown it in a skillet until golden and gooey.
WHY WE LOVE IT: The sweet, salty, savory, and creamy in this sandwich all come together beautifully -- with just the right amount of crunch and ooze. We're not sure if this is meant for breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner, but we'd have it any time of day. —The Editors
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 12 slices deli-style ham (preferably maple glazed)
- In a small bowl, mix the apricot preserves, vinegar and ginger. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each of the slices of bread. Spread goat cheese on the other side. Spread about 2 tablespoons of apricot chutney on top of the goat cheese and then fold three slices of ham on top.
- Close up the sandwich. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix over the outside of the sandwich.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the remaining butter (about 1 tablespoon per sandwich) in the skillet. Working 2 sandwiches at a time, brown each one, about 3-5 minutes on each side, covering the pan in between flips. The outside should get golden brown and slightly gooey.
- Repeat for remaining two sandwiches, keeping the first sandwiches warm in a toaster oven set on low. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
How to keep shelves tidy.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Get your shine on.