If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As always, spring at the Jersey Shore turned rapidly into steamy summer and with it a desire to minimize my time in the kitchen some nights. At the same time, my favorite beachfront eating spot closed it's door, and with it's passing went my favorite french dip sandwich. The lightbulb atop my head went off (in vivid color) and I decided to concoct my own. Feel free to vary the meat (rump instead of chuck or shoulder), vary the cheese or omit it, and omit the onions if you're really strapped for time. And of course, easy to double and freeze. —coachdonna
- 2.5 pounds chuck roast
- 1 bottle lager
- 12 ounces beef broth
- 1 packet onion soup mix combined with 1 cup of water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Vidalia onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the beef in the crockpot and toss in the diced onion. Pour the lager, beef broth, and onion soup mix over it. Cover crockpot and cook for 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high)
- Saute Vidalia onion in olive oil until carmelized. Set aside.
- When beef is cooked, remove from crockpot and slice thinly across the grain.
- 20 minutes before dinner, heat oven to 350 F. Cut Italian bread into quarters, and slice each quarter. Butter both sides, layer on a slice of swiss cheese. Bake in oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and open. Add sliced beef and a quarter of the sauteed onions. Ladle the au jus broth over the sandwich.
- Put additional Au Jus into individual containers for dunking. Make sure you have plenty of napkins.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.