Author Notes: One of the things I missed about going gluten free was the yummy pumpkin scone treats I used to have at Starbucks. After scouring the internet for a few versions, I used them to create my own. My neighbour told me that she liked them even better then the Starbucks brand. - Gluten Aversion
- 2 cups Bob Red Mills Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Xantham Gum
- 7 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 6 tablespoons Shortening
- 1/2 cup canned Pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons Almond Milk
- 1 large Egg
Glazes (Powdered and Spiced)
- 2 cups Icing Sugar
- 4 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons Almond Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 pinch Ground Cloves
- 1 pinch Ground Ginger
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients together in a Kitchen Aid Mixer (that's the flour to the spices).
- Cut in shortening with a pastry knife until the mixture is crumbly but has no clumps.
- Add your wet ingredients (pumpkin, egg and almond milk) and mix until well combined.
- Place this mixture into a silicone square pan and push it into all the corners (should be about 1-2 inches thick). Using a knife cut the dough through East to West and North to South. Then cut through on each diagonal length. This should give you 8 triangles.
- Place in the oven and bake for 14 minutes. Once they are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
- While the scones are cooling, you can make the icing.
- For the Powdered Icing base coat, mix 1 cup of icing sugar with 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of almond milk until well combined and no clumps. Spread this with a knife over the scones.
- For the Spiced icing sugar, mix 1 cup of icing sugar with 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of almond milk until well combined and no clumps. Then add ground spices and mix well. Place icing in an icing bag and pipe over top of powdered sugar glazed scones.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good