If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These bars have a similar flavor to key lime pie, but they are a bit sweeter and not quite as tangy. I made them with a gingersnap crust because the combination of ginger and lime makes me think of the tropics.
- Couldn't Be Parve
Makes 12-16 bars depending on the size
- 1 cup gluten-free gingersnap crumbs (made by crushing gluten-free gingersnaps in the food processor)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (or margarine if making dairy-free)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Line an 8X8 inch baking pan with foil so that the foil hangs over the sides of the pan, and spray the foil with nonstick baking spray.
- Place the butter or margarine in a medium bowl and microwave until melted. Add sugar and crumbs and stir until well combined. Press crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Let the crust cool while making the filling.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup key lime juice (fresh or from frozen concentrate, bottled is not as tasty in this recipe)
- Zest of 2 limes
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Place the eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk the eggs on medium-high speed until they thicken, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar while continuing to whip on medium-high, until the mixture is very thick and pale colored, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and baking powder and stir together to blend well. Add to the egg mixture and blend together on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the lime juice and zest and mix well. Pour the filling over the the crust and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is set and light golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean or slightly damp. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Lift the cooled bars from the pan using the foil and place on a cutting board. Peel the foil away from the sides and cut into 2-inch squares. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.