Author Notes: This is a very simple tagine recipe, where I have taken my favorite components from two different recipes and combined them. It's also a lighter version of the original recipes. If I were to make for company, I would use a little more olive oil, and chicken legs and thighs. - DianaP
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 16 ounces chicken breasts, bone in
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, julienned
- 15 dried apricots
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cinnamon sticks and cook until the onions are softened, about 4-5 minutes. Push to one side of the pan. Place the chicken breasts in the pan and brown on all sides, seasoning with the salt and pepper. Mix the onions occasionally so that they don’t burn. They will begin to caramelize after about 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken has browned and the onions caramelized, add the wine and the water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low. Add the ginger and lemon zest. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the apricots to the pan, nestling between the chicken, and cook for another 20 minutes, or until the chicken is "falling off the bone".
- In a small frying pan, toast the slivered almonds until nicely browned. Set aside. (Note: don’t take your eyes off the almonds while they toast – because they are slivered they will toast VERY quickly.)
- A few minutes before cooking is completed, squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken. Serve the dish sprinkled with toasted almonds and some chopped cilantro.