Author Notes: Honestly, when I win the next food52 contest :-), this will be the 'best thing I've made this year'. Friends, husband, neighbours attest to this. Simple and stunning.
Tasty.....too. - Kitchen Butterfly - Kitchen Butterfly
Food52 Review: Kitchen Butterfly's Mango Slaw was simply delicious! The yin and yang of the sweet mango and mint, paired with the spicy green chili and garlic, ‘popped’ in your mouth with every bite. This slaw is great on its own or served alongside grilled meats and fish.
Recommendation: The mint and coriander paste makes enough to use two mangos in this recipe. - jvcooks
- 1 large just-ripe mango, washed then peeled with a vegetable peeler
- 50 g fresh coriander leaves, washed and snipped with a pair of scissors
- 25 g fresh mint leaves, washed and snipped with a pair of scissors
- 1 - 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 small green chili pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Caster sugar, to taste
- Optional: Sliced/shredded iceberg lettuce
- Optional: Quartered cherry tomatoes, to garnish
- Slice the mango thinly and then julienne. Gnaw on the stone like a baby with a bone. If you're Nigerian.
- Using a mortar and pestle or in a food processor, make a paste of the coriander and mint leaves, garlic cloves, green chilli, salt and sugar. Taste the paste and adjust flavours - it should be sweet, slightly salty with a touch of green heat.
- Stir the paste into the mango julienne. Check and adjust seasoning again with more sugar and salt. Refrigerate and serve with meats, or as a salad, piled on top of the shredded lettuce, if using and with a garnish of tomato quarters
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish