If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have never baked anything Gluten Free, so this is a learning experience for me. I adapted my favorite Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe from James McNair's Cakes to be gluten free. Instead of pineapple I decided to try nectarines, using fruit that is in season. I also added cornmeal to the batter giving the cake a rustic quality. Its moist and flavorful and makes a delicious dessert.You can omit the cornmeal entirely and make a more traditional cake using 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour. - sdebrango
Brown sugar and fruit
- 1/2 Stick room temperature butter
- 3/4 cup Light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 -3 Nectarines sliced with skin on (Remove the skin if you like)
- Pre-heat Oven to 350 degrees. In saucepan melt 1/2 stick butter, add brown sugar and cook on med/low until butter is melted and brown sugar is caramalized. Butter 9" round cake pan add the caramalized brown sugar and spread around the bottom of the pan. Arrange your fruit and set aside while you make your cake batter.
- 1 Stick room temperature butter
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour ( I used King Arthur certified gluten free flour which is a blend of white and brown rice flours, tapioca starch and potato starch)
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk at room temperature
- Sift 3 times GF Flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. Set aside. In mixing bowl using either stand or hand held mixer (I used my hand held) cream butter until fluffy, add sugar and beat until fully incorporated. Beat in eggs one at a time making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the other it should be light and fluffy. Using your sieve add the flour mixture and milk in 3 installments beginning and ending with flour.
- Scrape the batter on top of the fruit and brown sugar, Smooth and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Take cake out of oven let sit 8-10 minutes then invert onto cake plate. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
Follow Food52 on social media!
Connect with us.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Soffritto's a superstar.
This is poppin'.