Author Notes: When I think of strawberries, I think of joy. True spring brings strawberries for many, and how can a fruit that connotes sunshine be hated? Fresh from my CSA, I was insistent on involving these berries into every I eat this week. So, it was time to revamp a basic from my kitchen.
My baked oatmeal recipe is a workhorse in my kitchen, so making it fresher, more delicious just seemed right. While it is not a traditional pie, it is creamy, rich and gluten-free. Tender sliced strawberries bake up, letting out their juices into the oats. The goat cheese calms its flavor with the heavy cream, yogurt and eggs. And then the whole thing becomes dessert-appropriate with freshly whipped goat cheese and more fresh strawberries.
Served warm, room temperature or cold, breakfast or dessert, there's no wrong way to eat this pie. - nomnivorous
Strawberry Goat Cheese Oat Pie
- 2 cups rolled oats, certified gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 handful fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375° F. While oven is preheating, toast your oats (for a nuttier flavor). Spread oats out on large, parchment-lined pan. Let toast for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of your food processor or a medium bowl, combine olive oil, honey, dark brown sugar, yogurt, heavy cream, goat cheese, eggs and vanilla. Process or whisk thoroughly, until creamy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9" pie pan. [The pan should be at least 2" deep or there will be overflow.]
- Place sliced strawberries in three concentric circles on the oat mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick tester comes out clean.
- Let fully cool [at least 4 hours] before slicing. Top with whipped goat cheese and fresh strawberries.
Whipped Goat Cheese
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1 dash honey
- Combine heavy cream and goat cheese in a medium bowl and whip with an electric mixer [or large whisk] until airy and doubled in size.
- Add the dash of honey [a small drizzle to cut the goaty tang] and mix thoroughly. Chill until serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good