Author Notes: These cookies have been a family favorite for years...my mom baked them, I bake them and my daughters bake them. The little ones love them! If you're gluten free use white rice flour instead of all purpose. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut ( unsweetened)
- 2 cups rolled oats (check if making gluten free)
- 2 cups AP flour (or white rice flour for gluten free)
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then incorporate the beaten eggs. Beat in the baking powder, baking soda and salt.Stir in the coconut, oatmeal, flour and chopped nuts. Chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
- After chilling, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and then shape each piece into "logs" about 9 inches long. Wrap the rolls separately in waxed paper ( or parchment) and chill them overnight.
- When ready to bake, pre heat the oven to 350F, slice the logs about 1/4 to 1/3 inch and bake on a parchment lined ( or Silpat ) baking sheet for 12 to 14 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good