Author Notes: A spicy filling of cheese, jalapeno and poblano dress up a plain unsweetened cornbread. - inpatskitchen
Makes 1 9 inch bread
For the cheese chili filling
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced poblano pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut in small cubes
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- In a medium saute pan saute the two chilis and the onion in the olive oil until softened.
- Turn off the heat and add the two cheeses, stirring all the while until the cream cheese almost melts completely. Set the mixture aside.
For the cornbread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cups gluten free yellow corn meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten free baking powder
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Pre heat the oven to 400F. Place a 9 inch round baking pan in the oven with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture in to the dry and mix thoroughly.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven making sure the melted butter coats the bottom of the pan and pour 1/2 of the cornbread mixture into the pan.
- Layer the top with the filling mixture by dropping spoonfuls of it over the top.
- Pour the remaining cornbread mixture over the top. Bake at 400F for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve slightly warm
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good