If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many picnic baskets are packed with portable and oh-so-tasty brownies for dessert. Perhaps more popular in Hawaii is the beloved Hawaiian-Japanese confection known as mochi. You may be familiar with the Japanese sweet of sticky rice balls sometimes filled with sweet red bean paste. In Hawaii, sweet rice flour has found its way into many other recipes, including a cake-like temptation known as butter mochi. In honor of the too-short mango season, I have made a coconut milk enriched version of mochi topped with mango. It will remind you of the Thai dessert of mango and sticky rice, or perhaps of a fruity blondie. —Beautiful, Memorable Food
Makes 24 pieces
- 1 one pound box Mochiko sweet rice flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 12 oz can coconut milk
- 1 very ripe mango
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients except for mango and whisk until well combined.
- Peel and slice mango, and reserve juices.
- Pour batter into a greased, 11" x 7" x 2" rectangular baking pan.
- Place mango slices on top, then drizzle over any remaining mango juice. If desired, use a knife to swirl batter slightly to created a marbled effect.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for an hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan, then slice into squares.
- Note: store mochi wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature (will harden if refrigerated).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.