Author Notes: This has been handed down in my family for several generations. We've had a family reunion in August on Lake Erie for almost 75 years, and these beans have been there as long as I can remember. They have a delicious sweet and sour flavor, and the ground beef and bacon make them very hearty. Men gobble this up! - Debarc
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 15.25 ounces can lima beans, drained
- 16 ounces can pork 'n beans
- 15 ounces can red kidney beans
- Brown together the bacon and onions. Drain.
- Add the ground beef and brown well.
- Add in all the other ingredients and stir well.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours in a large covered casserole.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish