Author Notes: I first made this recipe for a Mother's Day barbeque this past May that drew together a large family gathering. It is based on a recipe in the Gourmet Today cookbook, but I have changed it substantially to emphasize the sunny zing of lemon and augment the overall Grecian flavor of the dish. It's very easy to make and was a huge hit at the party! My sister-in-law liked it so much she ate some leftovers for breakfast. - la mere moderne
- 1 pound Orzo Pasta
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 pound Cherry Tomatoes (or Baby Plum Tomatoes)
- 1 cup Crumbled Greek Feta
- 1 cup Kalamata Olives
- Small Bunch Chives
- Boil the orzo pasta until al dente, about 8-9 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water. Put in fridge while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix together minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, freshly ground black pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon). This will make a vinaigrette-like liquid.
- Quarter your cherry tomatoes or baby plum tomatoes (roughly 2 cups) and add this to vinaigrette. Dice the olives and add to vinaigrette along with crumbled feta. Snip bunch of chives finely (roughly 1/2 cup) over the bowl and give all the ingredients a good stir. Add pasta and give it one final good stir. Season with more salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
- This can be served cool or at room temperature. It can be made the night before and lasts about 2 days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish