Author Notes: This is a great do-ahead dish because it must be marinated to tenderize the thighs and is equally delicious served hot over steamed rice or cold alongside roasted new potato salad with a simply whirled lemon zest and juice, olive oil and garlic vinaigrette until emulsified. Pack it and place in your picnic basket, do not forget a bottle of Pinot Noir.
I like to roast poultry or meats in a brown paper bag because it keeps the juices and in the same time allows the chicken thighs brown evenly. - Kukla - Kukla
Food52 Review: Have you ever come across an unusual, almost whacky method for preparing an ordinary ingredient, then asked yourself, “Why isn’t it always done this way?” That was exactly my reaction when I made this. Chicken thighs are marinated in the time-honored combination of fresh herbs (lots of them), olive oil, wine vinegar and seasonings. You put wine in the baking dish, then put the whole thing in a paper bag and then into the oven. The wine and marinade duo create a luxuriously fragrant sauna in which the chicken is sort of roasted, yet sort of steamed, to produce some of the best tasting chicken you’ll ever eat. It’s tender, it’s juicy and it’s so easy to make. A truly outstanding recipe! - AntoniaJames - AntoniaJames
- • 8 large free ranch chicken thighs
- • 6 garlic cloves
- • 3/4 cup mixed fresh herb leaves (such as thyme, sage, rosemary)
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil
- • 2 tablespoons fine red wine vinegar
- • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- • 1/2 cup good dry white wine for the baking dish
- Finely chop garlic and herbs in food processor; then blend in oil and vinegar, salt and peppers. Place chicken thighs in a baking dish.
- Spread herb and seasoning mixture over all sides of chicken. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Get out the baking dish with chicken thighs from refrigerator. Pour 1/2 cup of good quality dry white wine into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the baking dish with chicken thighs inside of a large brown bag and transfer to the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer thighs to a large platter, pour the accumulated jus into a small sauce pan and simmer until reduced to sauce consistency.
- With a pastry brash smear the sauce over the chicken thighs. Let cool and absorb the sauce.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish