Author Notes: There’s no need to wait until Rosh Hashanah to enjoy this wonderful traditional
Variations of it are endless. I use some times deferent cheeses (cream cheese or Mascarpone) and also mix in Creamed Mushrooms or bite size pieces of leftover pot roast for a simple mane dish.
We cook noodles until tender to achieve pudding consistency and some times beat egg whites separately.
- • 1 pound wide egg noodles
- • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- • 4 large eggs
- • 2 cups whole milk smooth Farmers’ or Ricotta cheese
- • 1 cup sour cream
- • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 1 tablespoon flat leave parsley or basil, coarsely chopped (optional)
- • Zest of 1 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook noodles in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender but not mushy. Drain well in a colander and toss with butter in a bowl.
- While noodles are cooking beat eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon until light and foamy with a mixer in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sour cream, cheese and lemon zest, while continuing beating until the mixture is homogeneous. Fold in noodles and herb, if using.
- Transfer to a buttered deep 2-quarts baking dish and bake in middle of oven until firm, slightly browned and puffed, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve hot or room temperature with sour cream, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish