Author Notes: This is a nod to many things:
1) Memories of enjoying watermelon with salt on the hottest of summer days.
2) My sister, who was just visiting for two and a half weeks, and her amazing soy-balsamic-vinaigrette which we enjoyed nearly every night on her equally amazing salad combinations (baby greens, chili oil marinated goat cheese, mango and tomato was memorable).
3) A punch recipe from pauljoseph, which calls for the addition of vinegar in the simple syrup.
Enjoy with caution. Don’t forget that 8 cups of watermelon, while easy to consume in one sitting, feels like twice that much water in your belly. Just saying.
Serves 6-8, easily doubled
for the dressing
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wheat free tamari
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small saucepan, begin heating the water before adding the brown sugar and stirring to dissolve. Add vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil (since there is not much liquid, this will happen quickly), and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until thickened and reduced, when a wooden spoon will leave an opening when dragged across the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat. Whisk in remaining ingredients, transfer to a clean glass jar with a lid and refrigerate until needed.
for the salad
- 8 cups of cubed seedless watermelon, chilled
- 3/4 cups cilantro leaves, washed and dried thoroughly
- 2/3 cups blanched sliced almonds (from the bulk bins)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast slivered almonds in a large skillet or pan over medium heat until fragrant and browned (about 10 minutes), flipping the nuts by shaking the pan to prevent burning.
- When ready to serve, arrange watermelon cubes on a large serving platter or shallow bowl. Shower cilantro and toasted almonds over and around watermelon cubes. Add fresh grinds of black pepper to taste. Drizzle dressing over salad to taste (I used about half). If packing for a picnic, pack watermelon, cilantro and toasted almonds separately. Plate and dress at sunny destination. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw